Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday 1st February 2009

First of all sorry if you’ve been following this blog and had felt that it had suddenly come to an end, it hasn’t...!!! It’s been hard though since Christmas as we went skiing straight afterwards and I did not manage to run whilst in the Alps. I hiked a mountain a couple of time and felt I’d done something towards training but no running.
Today I participated in a half marathon in Watford – UK. It’s like a practice at running with others, so today I ran with 1999 others instead of just me on my own. The weather was cold and blowy making it feel colder. We set off and I managed to pass a good number of runners. The weather warmed up and it felt good. After about 4 miles I started to be aware that runners were now over taking me! My pace was slowing and that old kids tale about the tortoise and the hare came to mind. Still I kept going did battles with all the hills on this run. In Frankfurt where I train in the woods there are NO hills and these would prove to be iterating. I was caught by some people I’d met earlier at the half way point and ran on with them for a mile or two before their pace was getting hard to keep up.
With only two miles to go a small pack passed me (on a hill) with the 10min/pace runner. I got determined and dug in passing the pack and making a fair bit of distance between me and them. We rounded a bend and I knew we were into the last mile with my legs getting worn out. The 10min pace runner passed me again as the road started to rise before me, I wanted to keep her in sight and pull it out of the bag in the final half mile. I just could manage that and so I ended my half marathon in 2hr 6min 57 sec. Happy enough but would like to do better in the coming weeks.

No comments: